Thursday, April 16, 2020

26A – Celebrating Failure

1) Ever since I came to study at UF, it was a hard transition from where I was studying before coming here. I was previously an Electrical Engineering major, and I learned very quickly in my educational career that this was going to be a hard first semester, and my grades showed that. I was consistently getting bad grades, losing motivation, and changed my majors more than once. It has been a hard journey here at the University of Florida, but I am trying to do better.

2) What I have learned from this experience so far is that I need to be motivated to do work and study even if I am not motivated. I have to realize sooner or later that school is imperative for me and I need to treat it like a job, whether I like it or not. Obviously, no one necessarily loves going to school but we all need to in order to pursue or passions, if that passion requires school.

3) Failure, for me, is more about shame and how I feel about myself rather than what others feel about me when I fail. Although I realize that failure is good, when it happens to someone so many times its hard to feel like you can actually succeed when the ratio of failure to success is so high. However one may see failure, I believe that it is important to keep getting back up every time you do fail and try and do better. This course has taught me that it is important to fail, and if you don't ever fail then you still need the experience in order to learn and achieve success in your life.

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Switching schools and switching majors is hard on anyone. I came in here from a small community college. It was mostly online, but these classes are entirely different. The good part is that you have not given up and realize that there is something to learn each time you do not succeed. Sometimes it is studying more and sometimes it is just making such this is what you want to do. Either way, sounds like you have it figured out now. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared,
    I understand what you mean. My first year at the University of Florida ended with a 1.95 GPA. I failed fast, just as Phil Knight, and I learned and adapted quickly. Now I am graduating with Summa Cum Laude. I agree with your description of failure because it can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel with so much failure mist in the way. However, just as you said it is of upmost importance to keep getting back up and going at it again. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jared,
    I completely understand your struggle with school and switching majors- I was previously a Health Science major and now I am Business Administration with a specialty in Public Health. Once you find your niche and learn how to capitalize on your strengths, though, maintaining good grades is attainable and not as difficult as we think. Keep up the good work and you will do great things!!

    ReplyDelete