Thursday, March 26, 2020

19A – Idea Napkin No. 2

1) I am a very sociable person, and always get things done as soon as possible with as much effort as I can. It is very hard for me to procrastinate so when assignments or due dates are announced I strive to to complete them as quickly as I can. I have aspirations of being able to make change in the world for the betterment of people who are struggling in their lives, even if the change is minimal. If I were to start my own business in the restaurant industry I believe that it would be a very unique and interesting change that would be made to my own life, however I would feel very complete and satisfied if this business did become a reality.

2) The need I am helping to satisfy for customers is the urgency or uncomfortable exchanges between servers/service workers and average customers with their loved ones. Almost every interaction I have with servers at restaurants starts out well, but in the end comes the stress of having to deal with whether or not to tip and how much is an "acceptable amount". It is hard for college students especially to be expected to give extra money after a meal, and it is also hard for college students who are working for tips to have to rely on them to make a living.

3) The segmentation of my market can range from ages 20-40, and specifically people who love to go out and eat with friends or family. These people are sociable, and often try to be as generous as possible, even if deep down that is something they do not want to do. They will be generous in order to avoid any awkward situations, worrying about the consequences more than the heftiness of their wallets.

4) I believe that customers would be served at this establishment casually and professionally, and the whole point being that they can just enjoy their meal with no strings attached. The point of the restaurant itself is not to be interesting and cause attention, it is to create a very normal and comfortable experience for the customers, so comfortable that it is in fact a rarity in the United States.

5) The majority of the country enforces tipping and gratuity, which in my opinion is a very big flaw in the development in the country's culture. I believe that starting this business concept would obviously not change the whole serving industry in itself, but maybe it would inspire others to pay their workers more and strive to give their customers a more comfortable experience. Obviously, most companies try to do this themselves, but as stressful as most server jobs are, I believe that there should be some sort of solution to make both the customers of the establishment and the consumers of the service more financially safe.

I truly believe that the elements stated in my "idea napkin" fit together, although they may be somewhat broad. That is really the only issue I sense within this whole concept, is that it is so broad that it may not be successful. This is when a certain setting or city would be appropriate to inhabit a business like this, which I have not researched yet.

Feedback Memo
In the first idea napkin, I literally made a napkin like the one in the first assignment, not knowing that I was supposed to thoroughly explain the five elements and not just draw them on a napkin...That was the major change I made since the first assignment, doing this one correctly and specifically stating the five elements of the metaphorical "napkin".

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I like how you realized that the assignment was not as literal as you thought. Although you might be ahead of everyone else by doing that, most of us did it just for the assignment, but sounds like you literally doing it could be more beneficial than you think. The 5 elements are the most important thing, so as long as you did that on both it can be so beneficial.

    ReplyDelete